Apple Smartwatches come in various models and are made out of different materials too. Though the performance and the features are quite identical, there can be differences between an Aluminium watch and the Stainless steel one. These differences can alter your purchase decision.
As you know, the Apple watch series 3, as well as SE, is made of aluminium while the Series 7 comes in both models. This article shall clinically dissect every aspect of both the watches and help you purchase the right one that suits your budget and preference.
Aluminium Vs Stainless Steel Feature Comparison
Interestingly, the Apple Watch Series 7 does not have any difference in its features. Be it aluminium or stainless steel, the storage limit is also the same for you to store music and podcasts conveniently. Further, you can also use third-party apps in both models. You can track your heart rate and also fitness with no hassle. That means to say, features of both the watches are on par and there is not much difference that we can observe to cite.
Also Check: 40mm Vs 44mm Which Apple watch should you buy?
There are quite a few differences that you can come across as we look into the other major factors.
If you are a person who looks into variety in your watch choices in terms of colours, then aluminium must be your pick. You have choices like
On the other hand, stainless steel comes in three elite colours
While we talk about the colours, we must also understand the looks. Aluminium is more of a soft look watch. That means to say, the aluminium watch has a softer material. You may find it chipping down in the longer run. At the same time, the stainless steel watch has a harder material thus making it more strong. While we say this, we cannot resist telling you that the scratches in the stainless steel watch are more prominent than the aluminium watch. Especially, if you are planning to purchase the silver colour watch, the scratches are even more prominent even if it is a microabrasion.
This is one of the options that make the stainless steel watch a bit pricey than the aluminium smartwatch.
The stainless steel version comes only with the Cellular option. That requires you to opt for a data plan to activate the feature. Incidentally, if you are not planning to use the cellular option, you still get to pay for the watch as there is no GPS only version in the stainless steel model.
On the contrary, the prime reason for people to purchase aluminium watches is the GPS only option model is available. If you require the cellular one, you can purchase that too. This feature makes these watches far too less expensive than the latter.
With 5 different colours and the two conducive options to operate, an aluminium watch is a sensible purchase if you are the budget-constrained purchaser.
The 41mm watch weighs 32 grams while the 45mm weighs 38.8grams. On the flip side, the stainless steel watch weighs 42.3 and 51.5 grams respectively.
The weight difference is not only because of the material used but also because of the display glass. The aluminium version has the Ion – X strengthened glass but the stainless steel watch has a harder glass; the sapphire.
How Can You Make a choice?
- If you are looking for a lightweight watch and your lifestyle revolves around physical fitness, you can blindly go for the aluminium watch. At the same time, if you are a lover of Apple watches and require a heavy watch with a classic look, then stainless steel must be your right pick.
- The way you use it can alter your purchase decision. As we saw earlier, the aluminium watch is not only light, it can withstand rough usage. Moreover, the scratches even if it occurs may not be as prominent as the stainless steel watch. Obviously, the glossy look of the stainless steel watch and the heavier texture will not allow rough usage. Also, the scratches prone usage shall make the watch look faulty in your hand, especially if you are wearing it for prime occasions.
- If you are a first-timer for the Apple watches and want to try them out, and the aluminium watch is suggested. With the price and the similar feature as that of the latter shall give you an amazing experience. Further, as the watch gets damaged or you want to change your watch in relatively quick succession, the aluminium watch can be a better option.
- The colour options may tempt you to buy a lightweight watch. As said earlier, you can attempt to buy different watches and wear them for occasions. It indeed has an elegant bead blasted look that you can never resist.
- If you are a classic watch lover and looking to purchase a harder watch, stainless steel watch is recommended. That too the Gold coloured watch is simply eclectic. The sapphire glass as the display and the glossy colour makes it look amazing on you.
Eventually, the purchase decision lies on you. The technical aspect that differentiates both is the Wi-Fi only functionality of the aluminium watches. Of course, the price does matter, but the extra unused feature like the cellular option might be giving you wring signals not to buy the stainless steel watch. If you are worried about the damage that could occur in the case of aluminium watches, you can conveniently go for AppleCare+. The exciting factor is, Nike+ comes only in aluminium watches. Lastly, if you are looking for a durable watch that can stay for more than 2 years, then you must shell out extra and purchase the stainless steel one.